A bright smile can be a confidence-boosting feature, but not everyone is born with it.
Each smile is unique. That’s why lightening the shade of teeth and improving their overall appearance can require varying methods from person to person. One cosmetic procedure your dentist may discuss is dental veneers.
Veneers are extra-thin shells bonded to the surface of teeth. They’re customized to create an attractive smile. We’re pleased to offer dental veneers at Kemptville Smiles Dentistry in Kemptville, ON.
Though, who exactly qualifies for dental veneers? What are the factors that make you a good candidate? We answer these questions in this post. Let’s get started.
Am I a Good Candidate for Veneers?
Here are some factors you can check:
- Several cosmetic concerns. If you’re looking to address several cosmetic dental issues with a single procedure, your dentist may look into correcting them with dental veneers.
- Severe tooth staining or discoloration. If your teeth don’t respond to whitening products or treatments, you may ask your dentist about getting dental veneers instead.
- Old fillings that are heavily stained. If you have old fillings that have become worn or are no longer aesthetically pleasing, you may also talk to your dentist about using veneers to improve your smile.
- Moderately straight teeth. While veneers can address misshapen or uneven teeth, they aren’t suitable for fixing severe alignment or bite issues. On the other hand, if you have moderately straight teeth, veneers may be an ideal option. However, for advanced alignment problems, you may need to consider other treatments.
- Without habits that are harmful to your teeth. Nail biting, tearing packages with teeth, and gnawing on objects can cause veneers to crack and chip. If you have these habits, veneers may not be a suitable treatment option. Exposing teeth to too much pressure can cause the veneers to dislodge and fall off.
- Doesn’t clench or grind teeth. Tooth grinding or clenching can also lead to premature wear and tear of dental veneers. If you have dental cosmetic concerns but grind or clench your teeth, veneers may not be the right solution for your needs.
- With sufficient enamel. The enamel is the outermost layer of the teeth. A small portion of it must be filed to make room for your veneers. You must have enough enamel to support your dental restoration.
- With good oral hygiene habits. To increase longevity and keep your veneers in good condition, having good oral hygiene habits is essential. Veneers are durable, but the natural teeth behind them must be healthy to back them up. Weakened or decayed teeth won’t have adequate enamel to support veneers.
Find Out If Veneers Are the Right Option for Your Cosmetic Concerns
Have you checked all the factors listed above, or are you worried you might not qualify for veneers? The best way to find out which cosmetic procedure best applies to your case is to book a consultation with a dentist.
If you’re in Kemptville, ON, and would like to find out if dental veneers are for you, contact us at Kemptville Smiles Dentistry. Let’s set up a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Alfarra. Not to worry, as referrals aren’t required, and new patients are always welcome!